MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif., May 17, 2016 – Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, today announced a new scale-out storage platform to enable enterprises and cloud service providers (CSPs) to build their own Amazon-like cloud infrastructure for diverse virtualized workloads. The new platform forms the foundation for the industry’s largest all-flash scale-out, with support for up to 160,000 VMs, 10 petabytes of capacity, and 6.4 million IOPS, for less than $1/GB.
Today’s announcement includes nine new Tintri VMstore T5000 all flash models with capacity expansion capabilities, VM Scale-out software, Tintri Analytics for predictive capacity and performance planning, and two new Tintri Cloud offerings. The simplicity of VAS enables organizations to scale from 17 TB to 10 PB with a common platform and less than one full time employee dedicated to storage management.
“Scale is a defining characteristic of cloud. While many companies aspire to build cloud-scale infrastructures with agility and automation for diverse virtualized workloads, they are held back by conventional storage architecture that’s simply not designed to support those requirements,” said Ken Klein, Tintri Chairman and CEO. “Customers have been forced to choose between limited scale-out that requires a large number of disks or expensive and inefficient scale-out, without the benefits of VM-level visibility, QoS and automation. With today’s announcement, enterprises and CSPs can scale far more effectively—building their own Amazon-like cloud infrastructure—with a VAS platform that allows for control, security, cost efficiency and simplicity.”
Scale-out Storage Platform: Built on a VAS foundation for modern storage scale-out with the following characteristics:
- Federated pool of storage. The federated node design treats multiple Tintri VMstores—both all-flash and hybrid-flash nodes—as a pool of storage, greatly simplifying management, planning and resource allocation.
- Scalability and performance. The storage platform is designed to scale to more than one million VMs. Separation of control flow from data flow ensures low latency and scalability to a very large number of storage nodes.
- Scale from small to very large with new and existing, all flash and hybrid, partially or fully populated systems.
- VM and software based. Based on software intelligence that delivers consistent performance for virtualized and cloud applications. It works across any standard high performance Ethernet network, eliminating the need for proprietary interconnects. The VM Scale-out software automatically provides best placement recommendation for VMs.
- Scale compute and storage independently. Loose coupling of storage and compute provides customers with maximum flexibility to scale these elements independently.
Tintri VMstore T5000 All-Flash With Expansion Capabilities: New configuration options for customers:
Tintri first introduced the Tintri VMstore T5000 all-flash series in August 2015. Today, all three models, the T5040, T5060 and T5080, are updated with new capacity options ranging from 17 TB to 308 TB. These systems leverage the latest in 3D NAND technology and high density drives to offer organizations both higher capacity and lower $/GB. In the future, Tintri will also enable capacity upgrades with some of these models to allow customers to scale up their individual VMstores. Combined with VAS VM-level capabilities and VM Scale-out software, customers can scale with complete flexibility, growing from one Tintri T5040 all flash system to 32 fully populated T5080s.
VM Scale-out Software: New VM Scale-out software provides the following capabilities:
- Predictive analytics derived from one million statistics collected every 10 minutes from 30 days of history, accounting for peak loads instead of average loads, for the most accurate predictions. Deep workload analysis identifies VMs that are growing rapidly and applies sophisticated algorithms to model the growth ahead and avoid resource constraints.
- Least-cost optimization based on multi-dimensional modeling. Control algorithm constantly optimizes across the thousands of VMs in each pool of VMstores, taking into account space savings, resources required by each VM, and the cost in time and data to move VMs, and makes the least-cost recommendation for VM migration that optimizes the pool.
- Retain VM policy settings and stats. When a VM is moved, not only are the snapshots moved with the VM, the statistics, protection and QoS policies migrate as well using efficient compressed and deduplicated replication protocol.
- Support for all major hypervisors.
“With hundreds of terabytes of data across thousands of VMs, our business runs on scale. Conventional scale-out promises scale but struggles beyond hundreds of VMs—it doesn’t give us flexibility in how and what to scale, nor the intelligence to predict workload demands,” said Jeff Wilhelm, CTO, Envision Technology Advisors. “Tintri’s Scale-out architecture and VM Scale-out technology will do for storage what VMware’s vSphere and DRS did for compute. The notion of tripling and quadrupling our virtualized infrastructure without adding the corresponding number of dedicated storage personnel has tremendous appeal to us. Combined with advanced analytics, QoS, automation, and policy-based VM management, this gives us a powerful platform to build a very agile virtualized infrastructure.”
Tintri has always offered real-time, VM-level analytics as part of its Tintri Operating System and Tintri Global Center management system. Today, this foundation expands to include a SaaS offering of predictive analytics that provides organizations the ability to model both capacity and performance requirements. Powered by big data engines such as Apache Spark and Elasticsearch, Tintri Analytics is capable of analyzing stats from 500,000 VMs over several years in one second. By mining the rich VM-level metadata, Tintri Analytics provides customers with information about their environment to help them make better decisions about applications’ behaviors and storage needs.
“Our environment is constantly changing, and as a service provider we don’t always know the workload plans of our customers. With Tintri's predictive analytics, previous guesswork is replaced with total visibility into our VMs,” said Dan Timko, President and CTO, Cirrity. “Tintri’s UI shows me exactly how capacity and performance utilization is trending and allows me to model different scenarios. Now, if a customer wants to add 100 SQL servers, I can tell in less than a minute whether we can handle the increased load with our existing infrastructure or whether we need to expand to support it. These analytics further enhance our ability to deliver quality service to our customers.”
Tintri Cloud Suites
Tintri Cloud combines the power of the Tintri Scale-out platform and the performance of all-flash VMstores, with the simplicity of its extensive VAS software portfolio to enable organizations to build their own private cloud.
Customers can start with a single Tintri VMstore T5040 with 17 TB of effective capacity and scale out to the Tintri Foundation Cloud with 1.2 PB in as few as eight rack units. Or they can grow all the way to the Tintri Ultimate Cloud, which delivers a 10 PB cloud-ready storage infrastructure for up to 160,000 VMs, delivering over 6.4 million IOPS in 64 RU for less than $1/GB effective. And Tintri’s VM-aware storage is so easy to manage that organizations need less than one full time employee to manage their Tintri footprint as they scale from 17 TB to 10 PB.
Both the Foundation Cloud and Ultimate Cloud include Tintri’s complete set of software offerings for storage management, VM-level analytics, VM Scale-out, replication, QoS, and lifecycle management.
Availability and Packaging
The Tintri VMstore T5000 All-Flash Series with new capacity options is available later this month through Tintri and authorized Tintri resellers. Tintri Analytics is available immediately to customers with current Tintri VMstore support contracts.
VM Scale-out will be available through Tintri Global Center Advanced, which will be available in June 2016 as both a separate software license and a part of the Tintri Software Suite, which consists of Tintri Global Center Advanced, ReplicateVM, SecureVM and SyncVM. Existing Tintri Global Center Standard customers may also purchase upgrades to Tintri Global Center Advanced.
Tintri Foundation Cloud and Tintri Ultimate Cloud will be available for purchase in June 2016 through Tintri and authorized Tintri resellers.
- Register for Tintri’s launch webinar with demos on May 19th, 2016
- Tintri T5000 All-Flash series datasheet
- Tintri Analytics datasheet
- Tintri Global Center datasheet
- Tintri VM Scale-out introduction
- Explore the entire Tintri universe of products
Tintri builds smart storage that sees, learns and adapts, enabling IT organizations to focus on virtualized applications and business services instead of managing storage infrastructure. Tintri VM-aware storage eliminates planning and complex troubleshooting by providing VM-level visibility, control, insight and agility. Tintri powers hundreds of thousands of virtual machines running business critical databases, enterprise apps, desktops and mobile apps, and private cloud deployments. Tintri helps global enterprises such as AMD, Chevron, F5 Networks, NEC, NTT, MillerCoors and Time Warner maximize their virtualization and cloud investments. For more information, visit www.tintri.com and follow us on Twitter: @Tintri.
Bill Robbins/ Emily Gallagher
US: + 1 (512) 970-9711
UK: +44 (0) 1252 717 040